Herbal Medicine for Chronic Dry Cough, Coughing up Blood, Cough with Bloody Mucus and Sore Throat – Bai He Gu Jin Tang, Chinese Classic Formula
Bai He Gu Jin Tang (百合固金汤,Bai He Gu Jin Wan, Lily Bulb Formula), literally “Lily Strengthen Metal Decoction” in Chinese, is a well known Chinese herbal formula that has been used for centuries to treat chronic dry cough, coughing up blood, cough with bloody mucus, sore throat, and lung fever that caused by fluid deficiency of lungs.
According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), when the lungs are in the condition of Yin (fluid) deficiency, the lungs have drying and over-heated symptoms, therefore you can see chronic dry cough, coughing up blood, dry throat, lung fever, hot palms and soles, night sweating, pharyngitis, pneumothorax, pulmonary tuberculosis, red tongue, weak-rapid pulse, etc.
According to TCM theory, there is relationship between lungs and kidneys. Yin (fluid) deficiency of lungs can be caused by Yin (fluid) deficiency of kidneys. These are often seen in elderlies with chronic dry coughs.
Bai He Gu Jin Tang is mainly made of the moisturizing herbs. It nourishes and moisturizes both lungs and kidneys, thus it can treat the above symptoms.
This formula is often used to treat chronic dry coughs, especially for elderlies.
Bai He Gu Jin Tang is made of the following ingredients:
– Sheng Di Huang (生地黄, unprocessed rehmannia root) 6 grams
– Shu Di Huang (熟地黄, processed rehmannia root) 9 grams
– Bai He (百合, lily bulb) 3 grams
– Xuan Shen (玄参, ningpo figwort root, scrophularia) 2.4 grams
– Mai Men Dong (麦门冬, ophiopogon tuber) 4.5 grams
– Jie Geng (桔梗, baloon flower root, platycodon root) 2.4 grams
– Bei Mu (贝母, Szechuan fritillary bulb) 3 grams
– Dang Gui (当归, dong quai, Chinese angelica root) 3 grams
– Bai Shao (白芍, white peony root) 3 grams
– Gan Cao (甘草, licorice root) 3 grams
Bai He Gu Jin Tang is sold in form of pills (Bai He Gu Jin Wan, 百合固金丸) in Chinese herbal medicine stores.
Please consult a doctor before taking any remedies. This herbal medicine is not suitable to cough due to a cold and with stuffy or running nose, nor to cough with excessive and thick phlegm.
For more information about natural remedies for lung disease, go to Natural Remedies Center: http://www.naturalremediescenter.com/treat/lung-disease/