Butterfly Weed for Wet Cough, Pleurisy, Asthma, Bronchitis and Chest Congestion – Native American Remedies
Butterfly weed is used by native Americans to treat wet cough, pleurisy, asthma, bronchitis, chest congestion and other lung diseases.
Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) has another name, pleurisy-root, which indicates its medicinal value for treating pleurisy. Pleurisy is a painful inflammation of the pleural lining of the lungs. Butterfly weed has effects to reduce dampness or phlegm in respiratory system due to its diaphoretic, diuretic and expectorant properties.
The sweat-inducing properties of butterfly weed disperses inflammatory heat in the lungs.
Butterfly weed also has the ability to relieve spasms in the airways by promoting perspiration.
Butterfly weed helps clear the air passages of secretions in the respiratory system, and relieve the difficulty of the breathing in pleurisy, asthma and bronchitis. That may explain why this herb has long been used as a remedy for treating wet and inflammatory ailments in lungs among Native Americans.
How to use butterfly weed
Only the root is used as a herbal medicine. The leaves and stem are said to be toxic to humans. Traditionally, American Indians chew butterfly weed root as a cure to treat pleurisy and other pulmonary ailments.
Butterfly weed root can be used to make an infusion:
- Butterfly weed root powder 1-2 teaspoons (or smashed fresh root 50-100 grams)
- Water 1 cup
- Boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Drink half, 4 times a day
For more information about natural remedies for pleurisy, go to Natural Remedies Center: http://www.naturalremediescenter.com/treat/pleurisy/Read Related Articles
- Lungwort for Bronchitis, Cough, Asthma, Tuberculosis & Chest Infections - European Lung Remedies
- Home Remedies Nutmeg for Digestive Disorders, Cough & Skin Care
- Arisaema Triphyllum (Jack in the Pulpit) for Bronchitis, Asthma & Rheumatism - Herbal Medicine
- How to Use Horseradish for Bronchitis, Sinus Congestion, Asthma, Cold & Flu - Home Remedy Recipes
|More Articles About:||Cough Pleurisy Asthma Bronchitis Chest|