European Elder (Elderberry) for Flu, Cold, Fever, Cough, Sore Throat, Chest Congestion and Sinus Infections
Elder (Elderberry) has been used in Europe for hundreds of years for treating flu, colds, fevers, coughs, sore throat, chest congestion, sinus infections and other disorders.
Elder (European elder, Elderberry, Sambucus nigra) is a tree native to Europe, Asia and Africa. The berries, flowers and barks of elder have long been used as herbal medicine in Europe. There are different types of elder in the world, but European elder is used most as a remedy. Today elder is used in forms of teas, liquid extracts, and capsules.
When used internally, elder helps to reduce phlegm, relieve congestion in the chest, soothe an sore and irritable throat, treat flu, cough, cold, fever, sinus infections and asthmatic disorders.
Traditionally, elder flowers are used to make an infusion or syrup for treating the above disorders.
How to Make Elder and Peppermint Infusion:
- Dried elder flowers 1 handful
- Dried peppermint 1 handful
- Boiling water 1.5 pint
- Put the herbs in a pot
- Pour over the boiling water
- Cover it and allow to steep for 30 minutes
- Drink a cup as hot, 2-3 times a day
- If the infusion is cool, heat a cup to hot in microwave
- This remedy is said to be effective for influenza, sore throat and cold in the first stage
How to Make Elderberry Syrup:
- Fresh elderberries 3 cups
- Water 2 cups
- Fresh ginger (minced) 2 table spoons
- Cloves 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar (or honey) 1-2 cups
- Put the elderberries, water, ginger and cloves in a pot
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes
- Let it cool, then strain
- Put the liquid into another pot
- Bring to a boil again and reduce heat
- Add sugar and simmer until liquid thickens
- Let it cool, and store in bottle or jar
- Consume 1 table spoon, twice a day
- This remedy is said to be an excellent cure for a cold
Please note, elder has aperient, diuretic and emetic properties. Do not eat uncooked or unripe elderberries. Large dose can cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Consult a health care provider before using it.
For more information about natural remedies for flu, go to Natural Remedies Center: http://www.naturalremediescenter.com/treat/flu/Read Related Articles
- Dhumapana: Herbal Smoking for Cough, Bronchitis & Asthma - Ayurvedic Therapy
- Nutmeg for Digestive Disorders, Cough & Skin Care
- How to Use Horseradish for Bronchitis & Sinus Congestion - Remedy Recipes
- Feverfew for Migraine Headache, Fever, Joint Pain and Arthritis - European Herbal Medicine
|More Articles About:||Flu Cold Fever Cough Sore Throat Chest Sinus Infections Elder Elderberry|