10 Herbal Remedies for Cough: Licorice, Marshmallow and Slippery Elm …
If you suffer from a cough that just won’t quit, you may want to try herbal remedies. The following herbs can be used for cough treatment and relief:
1. Licorice. Licorice is beneficial in that it is also bactericidal in its effects. Licorice works at the optimal level when warmed, and it should be warmed for use on a cough.
2. Marshmallow. Marshmallow has been used for more than 2,000 years as both a food and a medicine. It is effective for soothing sore throat pain, cough relief, respiratory infections.
3. Slippery elm. Slippery elm is often used in natural cold preparations to soothe a cough and ease a sore throat.
4. Horehound. Horehound has been used for centuries in the treatment of colds, coughs and sore throats.
5. Coltsfoot. Coltsfoot can be used for the congested lungs of the patients to remove the excess of mucus, and aid in alleviating the congestion.
6. Lungwort. Lungwort is a remedy for children having a diarrhea along with the heavy cough.
7. Mullein. Mullein tea is the best medication for children in whom the cough has just begun. The herbal tea is greatly effective in relieve throat and the lungs in a child with cough.
8. Osha. Osha root is an can effective aromatic herb that can be used to clear lungs with congesting mucus.
9. Sage. An herbal tea made from the sage and the thyme can eliminate excessive amounts of mucus in the lungs.
10. Wild cherry bark. Native American tribes have made traditional use of the herbal tea to combat bronchitis, colds and coughs.
You can make a herbal tea just like how you make a green tea: Steep one tsp dried herb (licorice, marshmallow, slippery elm, horehound, or lungwort) in per cup of boiling water, leave for 5-10 minutes, then drink it.
You can take it alone, or combine with other herbs. For example, use licorice with marshmallow and slippery elm, or use licorice with coltsfoot.
Many of the above herbs are sold in form of tea, tincture or capsules in many health stores.Read Related Articles
- Dhumapana: Herbal Smoking for Cough, Bronchitis & Asthma - Ayurvedic Therapy
- Nutmeg for Digestive Disorders, Cough & Skin Care
- Natural Cough Remedies: Elecampane for Coughs, Asthma, Bronchitis and Shortness of Breath - European Herbal Medicine
- European Elder (Elderberry) for Flu, Cold, Fever, Cough, Sore Throat, Chest Congestion and Sinus Infections
|More Articles About:||Cough Licorice Marshmallow|