Natural Antipyretic Remedies: Boneset for Fever, Flu and Cold – Native American Medicine
Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) is a perennial herb that is used by native Americans as a natural antipyretic remedy to treat fever, flu and cold. Boneset was a popular herbal medicine in the united states. It was in the US Pharmacopeia from 1820 to 1900.
Boneset is used to treat dengue fever, which was also called breakbone fever. Some people believe that the name boneset was derived from the plant’s use in the treatment of breakbone fever – a high fever that often accompanies influenza. It is not known which components in boneset reduce fever. In a small double-blind clinical trial, boneset was shown the effect, as aspirin, in reducing symptoms of the common cold.
Though boneset has been used by physicians to treat fever, but its use is supplanted by the modern antipyretics that are believed to be safer and more effective.
How to use boneset
Traditionally, boneset is used to make a tea to treat fever and flu:
- Dried boneset leaves and flowering tops 2-4 grams
- Boiling water 1-2 cups
- Steep for 10 minutes
- The patient should drink 1 cup warm tea every half hour while remaining in bed
- The tea causes sweating. After 4-5 doses, the relief should be obtained
You may find boneset in forms of extract liquid and tea in a health food store.
Please note, large doses of boneset may result in vomiting and catharsis. The FDA has classified this plant as an “Herb of Undefined Safety.” You should consult your doctor before using this remedy.
For more information about natural remedies for fever, go to Natural Remedies Center: http://www.naturalremediescenter.com/treat/fever/Read Related Articles
- Feverfew for Migraine Headache, Fever, Joint Pain and Arthritis - European Herbal Medicine
- European Elder (Elderberry) for Flu, Cold, Fever, Cough, Sore Throat, Chest Congestion and Sinus Infections
- Chives for Appetite, Stomach Upset, Flatulence, Stuffy Nose and Cold - Home & Kitchen Remedies
- Catnip for Insomnia, Headache, Cold, Wet Cough, Bronchitis, Fever, Colic and Digestion
|More Articles About:||Fever Flu Cold Boneset|